Saturday, April 22, 2017

Week 2 - Post 2

  1. What resources are you using at your placement? 
I have been using google, mainly Canada Post Website to look up postal codes and realtor information, and I have printed out my to-do list template to write things down I need to complete for the day, I am also using the docket sheet we prepared in class, since I have to docket my hours for the day. 
  1. Have you discovered resources on the Internet that were/are useful to you, other than those introduced in class?  If so, please share the URLs.
Not as of yet.
  1. Review the list of responsibilities submitted by you before your placement.  Indicate whether the list was accurate or whether you were exposed to different responsibilities or did fewer than were listed. 
I believe this list is pretty accurate. I am using PC Law, Conveyancer, and just filled out a form to get access to Interview. Which I had to provide a government issued document in order for me to get access to it. 
  1. What do you consider two of your strengths?  How are you using them to your advantage at this placement?
My two strengths would be my organizational skills and my communication skills. Keeping organized in my role is crucial to ensure that I do not miss important requisition and closing dates. So, not only are all of the client files organized on my desk, I have also started to created an excel sheet with all the purchases and sales with the dates that I need to have them handed over to the clerks for. As for communication, right away when I have a look at a file and see what information I still need, I will get in contact (usually through email) with mostly the realtors to get more contact and other party solicitor information. 

7 comments:

  1. Week 2, Comment 2
    I know you have a lot on your plate! How is your excel sheet organized? Do you use filiters to help prioritize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I converted my sheet into a table so that I am able to filter by dates. My sheet isn't complete yet, as there are formulas I would like to add in. Just need to find the time!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Week 2, Comment 1, (Monday, April 17 - Sunday, April 23)

    Hi Jenny!

    Your Excel sheet sounds like a wonderful idea! I would do one, but at Lennox and Penney the sheet is created already by Winnie (our receptionist) who assigns jobs to each lawyer and legal assistant when she inputs it into PC Law. We use that list (which it pinned next to each computer in the office) to guide our file review meeting several times each week to discover how far through we are with our assigned work and if we are on time for closing dates.

    Are you assigned your own files as legal assistant or are you helping another legal assistant to complete their assignments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma! I'm in the real estate department so I am responsible for opening all incoming files and then assigning them to the law clerks.

      Delete
  4. Jenny - How wonderful that you are using your to-do list from class, and using Excel and its filter feature! Sheila will be happy to hear about that. Are you using any of the advanced Excel features learned in second semester, or do you think that sufficient features were covered in first semester to allow you to utilize Excel in your workplace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! I believe that there were sufficient features taught in the first semester of this program. If I remember correctly...making tables and charts was first semester Excel class. It's just such a handy program to use!

      Delete