Friday, January 20, 2017

This Is Jenny!

Welcome to my blog! 

My name is Jenny and I am 30 years old (31 in April OMG!). My favourite things in life are my cat, my fiance, hiking, camping, and travelling. 

For the last year and a half I have been waiting for the day that I got to start thinking and applying to law firms for my work placement. I'll admit there were times when I wasn't sure if I would make to this day, but here I am and I am so excited!!

I have researched and looked around at a bunch of law firms around Kitchener-Waterloo. I knew I definitely wanted to do a placement at a larger firm. Lucky for me, I recently ended up getting part-time employment at Giffen Lawyer LLP! I work under the litigation clerk (Tracey, who has been an amazing mentor), I've only been closing files and doing some filing, but being able to see how the law firm works, how it's organized and seeing the documents first hand and being able to read different cases has been so interesting and confirmed to myself that this is a career I really want! Anyways, since I have been working there I was able to talk with the office manager and, just today, she confirmed with me that the partners have agreed for me to complete my 90 hour work placement at the firm. The best part about it is the fact that she is going to get me to rotate each week so I get exposure to different areas of law while I am there! I will get to do litigation, family law and the last one is still being decided. I am hoping for real estate, but I am really open to whatever they want to show me. 

When I originally applied for this job I did have to submit my resume and cover letter. I went to the interview and had brought some documents to show my work, as they asked, and I guess my resume spoke for itself, because they didn't ask a whole lot of questions and wanted to know when I could start. 

My favourite area of law to learn about has been litigation, therefore I do hope that once I graduate I can get a legal assistants job in this area. As much as I have really enjoyed being a student, I can't wait to get out and start working, as I do have a wedding to start paying for ;)

- Jenny    

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - thank you for being the first student to create your CDEV2015 blog! Well done and very interesting. And I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed litigation, notwithstanding the amount of work that was involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's quite the jackpot you got when you started working there. I can't believe you're going to be rotating legal fields during your 90 hours! That's very exciting. Maybe you will find another field that holds your interest more than just real estate and litigation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete